Historic Toki Residence
About Historic Toki Residence
Toki was a clan of Seiwa Genji (descendants of Emperor Seiwa) and a noble family who served as keeper for Osaka Castle, local governor of Kyoto and Roju (member of shogun's council of elders).
Toki clan had reigned over Tone-Numata region for the period of 127 years since Yoritoshi Toki became first lord of Numata in 1742 after Kuroda clan until 12th lord Yorioki returned the land to the Emperor in 1869. The Toki Family moved to Tokyo from Numata in 1869 and received Viscount from the Meiji new government.
This house was built by Viscount Akira, second son of Yorioki, in Shibuya, Tokyo in 1924. Their descendant, Sanemitsu (the deceased), donated it to Numata city in 1990, and it was relocated in August 1991.
It was registered as a national registered tangible cultural property (building) with the name ‘Historic Toki Residence’ on November 5, 1998.